Spring Lea Ellorien Henry1818 Whitman Road, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80910
719/ 328-0359 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
CURRENT WORK: Helping teens achieve their creative potential through writing, publishing, and artistry.
- Creative Writing Instructor
- Mythic Writing
- Character Creation
- Sci-Fi and Fantasy
- See the descriptions of the above classes here
- Independent Publisher at The Grumpy Dragon
- Artisan and Writer
- See my latest works at my first holiday fair, Friday November 3, 8:00am-3:00pm, at 201 E. Colfax in Denver (Colorado Department of Education building just across the street from the State Capitol).
- Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, The Grumpy Dragon
- Project Supervisor, Wild Gazebos Art and Literary Magazine, July 2004 - Present
- Provided teen staff with overview of editing and production processes
- Arranged and assisted with training for teens on Star Office software
- Organized and oversaw submission and judging processes
- Prepared budget and proposal to submit to Library Foundation
- Editor, Yattitudes (Young Adult Library Services Association), July 2001 - July 2004
- Designed initial layout
- Solicit articles from contributors
- Write editorials
- Proof and revise articles as needed
- Supervising Editor, Genesis (Adams State College), August 1994 - May 1995
- Designed and managed submission process.
- Designed magazine layout.
- Responsible for managing staff of 6: scheduling, timesheets, and evaluations.
- Controlled allotment of funds for equipment, publicity, and production costs.
- Supported and encouraged staff to meet proposed deadlines.
- Planned and conducted a catered awards ceremony program.
- Chief Copy Editor, South Coloradoan Newspaper (Adams State College), August 1993 - May 1995
- Oversaw copyediting team
- Personally proofed entire paper each week
- Encouraged staff to meet weekly deadlines.
- English Instructor, Private Client, November 2001 - January 2003
- Designed assignments based on individual progress and needs
- Assisted students with home-school curriculum requirements
- Delivered progress reports to both students and parents
- English Instructor, Upward Bound (Adams State College), October 2000 - May 2001
- Created lesson plans
- Instructed groups of up to 12 high school students
- Coordinated all-school activities with other staff members
- Tutoring Lab Supervisor, Student Support Services (Adams State College), September 1990 - May 1994
- Assisted students in study skill development
- Developed and taught test taking tactics
- Tutored both one on one and for groups up to 40 students in Mathematics, English, Science, and Psychology courses.
- Youth Librarian, Philip S. Miller Library, July 2001- Spring 2005
- Career highlights:
- Coordinated, promoted, and conducted Teen Read Week 2001 program activities, Lord of the Rings Family Event, and Battle of the Bands.
- Created Lord of the Rings, Library Idol, and Dungeons & Dragons lock-in programs for teens 2003, 2004
- Assisted with district-wide Teen Read Week 2002, 2003 efforts
- Provided input and guidance in planning the Teen Tower at the new branch
- Initiated teen programs including: Games Day, Young Writers Guild, Teen Book Discussion, Dungeons & Dragons, Movie Night, Wild Gazebos Arts and Literary Magazine, and the Teen Advisory Group ; trained other staff members to run them
- Provided job opportunities for teens by designing the Teen Service Assistant position
- Co-planned district level program Fantasy Fest 2001, 2002
- Initiated monthly newsletter for teens and juvenile readers
- Co-created statewide summer reading program theme Xtreme Reads
- Encouraged entry into the Blue Spruce Award logo design contest, which one of Castle Rock's teens won
- Daily activities:
- Collection development for young adult materials
- Assist patrons at the service desk
- Supervise Teen Service Assistants
- Committee work: district collection development, tween marketing, teen programming interest research, branch departments
- Plan and run monthly programs: Games Day, Young Writers Guild, Dungeons & Dragons, Wild Gazebos Arts and Literary Magazine
- Compile monthly statistics and produce monthly reports for youth services department
- Supervisor of Technical Services, Southern Peaks Public Library, October 1995 - June 2001
- Career highlights:
- Directed library automation project
- Coordinated LAN/DSL and phone system reconfiguration project
- Rewrote collection development and Internet usage policies
- Completed 20-year collection analysis for consultant planning new library facility
- Coordinated, promoted, and conducted Teen Read Week 2000 program activities
- Contributed to Accelerated Reader materials acquisition project
- Daily activities:
- Evaluate/select new acquisitions in all adult areas and assist in young adult area
- Catalog and process new and donated materials; MARC format
- Administrate circulation/cataloging network
- Serve as reference/circulation librarian
- Train patrons and staff on library computer system and applications as necessary
- Supervise technical services staff and some library page activities
- Produce material and patron barcodes
- Manage patron database records
AWARDS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Citation for work on Dean's Learning Community Task Force, Emporia State University.
- Academic Achievement Certificate for maintaining a 4.0 GPA at Emporia State University.
- Beta Phi Mu Award for "academic achievement, leadership, and professional promise"
- Professional Memberships: Colorado Young Adult Advocates in Libraries (Co-Chair 2002-2003), Colorado Association of Libraries, Public Library Association, American Library Association, and Young Adult Library Services Association Division.
- Finalist in the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Colorado Gold Writing Contest
- Girl Scout Gold Award.
- Lifetime adult member of the Girl Scouts.
- 2000 Emporia State University, Emporia, KS; Masters of Library Science
- 1995 Adams State College, Alamosa, CO; Non-degree graduate studies in English
- 1994 Adams State College, Alamosa, CO; Bachelor of Arts--double major Psychology/English, minor in Computer Science; Suma Cum Laude Graduate
Site Updated 21 October 2006